Man nearly suffers collapsed lung after masturbating 2 months ago

Man nearly suffers collapsed lung after masturbating

Solidarity with the Swiss man

A man was hospitalised after a freak masturbating accident left him with a rare lung injury usually caused by rigorous exercise.

Advertisement

The case of the unnamed Switzerland patient was detailed in the May edition of the journal of Radiology Case Reports. The man had rushed to A&E after experiencing sudden chest pain and a loss of breath while masturbating. Doctors at the scene said his face had swollen and crunching noises could be heard from his neck down to his arms.

d Via Radiology Case Reports
Advertisement

After being admitted to the hospital, it's reported that the man spent the night in intensive care and then a further three days in the hospital's ward as doctors tried to relieve his pain. He was treated with paracetamol, antibiotic treatment and oxygen support.

Doctors had diagnosed him with 'spontaneous' pneumomediastinum (SPM), which entails air leaking from the lungs and becoming trapped in the ribcage. In this unfortunate man's case, the "profound" amount of air had spread throughout his body and reached the "base of the skull."

Radiology Case Reports Via Radiology Case Reports
Advertisement

The injury is most common among young men but this is still the first recorded case of someone suffering SPM after masturbation. Usually, cases are reported following sex.

After four days, the man was discharged with his condition dubbed "uncomplicated."

Via Radiology Case Reports Via Radiology Case Reports
Advertisement

Doctors said that predisposing factors included smoking, acute asthma and recreational use of both cocaine and heroin.

"No inciting factors were noticed in our patient," the report added.

Related links: