Wigan striker Charlie Wyke releases statement after suffering cardiac arrest 1 month ago

Wigan striker Charlie Wyke releases statement after suffering cardiac arrest

The club have confirmed that Wyke suffered a cardiac arrest at training

Wigan Athletic have confirmed that striker Charlie Wyke has left the hospital after he suffered a cardiac arrest at training last week.


The Latics revealed that the striker 'would not be available for selection for the immediate future' after he collapsed and was taken to hospital last week, with the League One club later confirming that the 28-year-old was in a stable condition.

On Thursday (2 December), Wigan confirmed that he had left hospital following a medical procedure.

The club revealed that the former Sunderland man had suffered a cardiac arrest during training on 22 November, but the quick actions of manager Leam Richardson and club doctor Jonathan Tobin allowed them to stable the forward.

He was then taken to the Royal Albert Edward Infirmary in Wigan, before being transferred to the Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital.

Wyke has been fitted with an implantable defibrillator, which will provide him with protection as he begins his road to recovery.

Included in Wigan's update was a statement from Wyke himself, who expressed his gratitude to a number of people and stressed the importance of CPR training.


His statement read: "First and foremost, I just want to stress my sincere appreciation to the Club’s medical staff and the NHS staff who have cared for me after I was taken into hospital last week. In particular, I would like to mention Dr. Rob Cooper from the Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital for everything he has done for me over the last week or so.

"I feel it’s important to tell my story to our supporters and to the wider public, because my life has been saved by the actions of the gaffer [Leam Richardson] and the club doctor Jonathan Tobin, and my story may well save another life.

"As you are aware, I collapsed during training on Monday. I suffered a cardiac arrest and required CPR, and I am told it was only the quick response of the gaffer to initiate the resuscitation process and then the continuation from the Doc that saved my life. I will be forever grateful that due to their actions – and those of my teammates and other staff - I am here to talk to about the experience.


"Thankfully, just a few weeks ago, the training ground staff had received CPR training, which has clearly proven to be life-saving with the way in which the gaffer reacted to my collapse and initiated the CPR on the training pitch. I think that sends out a message of just how important it is that coaches and staff have that training.

"The support from my teammates over the last few days has been incredible; the gesture to celebrate with my shirt at Plymouth just goes to show what a top group of lads we have here at Wigan. I’ve heard the fans singing my name when I’ve been watching the games from hospital too, which has been amazing to hear – I’m really thankful for that support.

"I have received thousands of messages from supporters of all of the Clubs I have played for, the wider football community and beyond, and the well-wishes have meant the world to me and my family. It was a real boost for me to see the photo of my former teammates at Sunderland wishing me well - a class touch from a great set of lads.

"I’m looking forward to going home to my son, partner and friends and family for the next few days.


"I can’t wait to get back to the training ground next week to see the lads, where I will start some light training that begins the process of hopefully being able to get back to full training with the team next year.

"Thank you for all of the support. Charlie."

Wyke has also 'categorically' confirmed that his collapse was not related to the Covid-19 vaccine.

Related links: