Tyson Fury rubbishes reports he's set to come out of retirement 1 month ago

Tyson Fury rubbishes reports he's set to come out of retirement

Fury has played down reports

Tyson Fury has rubbished reports that he is set to come out of retirement and fight the winner of the upcoming rematch between Oleksandr Usyk and Anthony Joshua.

Advertisement

The rematch between Usyk and Joshua is expected to be formally announced next week, and is expected to take place on August 20 in the Saudi capital of Jeddah.

Reports from the Daily Mail had claimed that Fury had been approached by representatives from Saudi Arabia about facing the winner of the fight the night before the World Cup final in Qatar on December 17.

Advertisement

Sources close to the Saudi government seemed excited by the prospect of a rematch and labelled it a "generation-defining event."

They said: "Now the eyes of the world will be firmly on the Kingdom for Joshua v Usyk as a prequel to Tyson Fury against the victor for the undisputed crown, a generation-defining event comparable to Muhammad Ali's Rumble In the Jungle."

But the 'Gypsy King' has played down all those reports and reacted to the news on his Instagram story on Saturday, saying he was unaware of any talks.

Advertisement

"This is all news to me," he said.

"Biggest load of rubbish ever."

Tyson Fury

Fury formally announced his retirement after his sixth-round victory against Dillian Whyte at Wembley Stadium back in April and despite constant speculation about a return, doesn't seem keen on getting back in the ring anytime soon.

Advertisement

"This is definitely the end of the Gypsy King and I went out with a bang." he said after his win.

"Tonight was amazing but this is the end."

Related links: