Sassuolo coach planning no-show against Milan in protest of Super League
"I am very angry because a coup was made on Sunday."
Sassuolo coach Roberto De Zerbi has said that he doesn't want his side to play their game on Wednesday against Super League-wannabes AC Milan.
Milan are one of three Italian sides that have announced their intention to set up a new breakaway Super League competition, along with nine other European clubs. The group of 12 have been condemned across the world of football and even politics since the news was announced.
Now, the Sassuolo manager has joined the criticism, but has suggested something much more bold than anyone else so far. Speaking in a press conference ahead of his side's clash with AC Milan and Wednesday, De Zerbi said that he has suggested to the club's hierarchy that Sassuolo don't take part in the game.
Sempre Milan reports that De Zerbi said: “This is like a coup d’etat in football. I don’t want to play the game tomorrow because Milan are one of the founders of the Super League. I told the club and the players my idea but if the club force me to go, I’ll go.
“It’s like the son of a labourer can’t dream of becoming a surgeon, a lawyer or a doctor. It’s as if they had told me as a kid in the schoolyard, that ball’s mine. I’m taking it. Football has a role in society that’s different from other sports.”
Sassuolo coach Roberto De Zerbi: “This is like a coup d’etat in football.” He goes on to say “I don’t fancy playing the game tomorrow because Milan are one of these three clubs. I’ve said it to the players and to our chief exec.”
— James Horncastle (@JamesHorncastle) April 20, 2021
Whilst this is probably unlikely to happen, it would be a really statement from the Italian side, and would be the first example of some real action being taken against the Super League proposals as oppose to just words. And they would surely be widely supported in such a move.