Premier League player arrested on suspicion of rape facing two more allegations
The unnamed player has been released on bail until August
The Premier League footballer arrested on suspicion of rape is now facing two more allegations of rape against a different woman.
The player, who can not be named for legal reasons, was arrested in north London on Monday and taken into custody.
The 29-year-old was questioned over an alleged attack which is said to have taken place last month, Scotland Yard later confirmed.
Telegraph Sport reported on Tuesday that the player has also been quizzed over separate alleged attacks on a different woman last year. The publication said the player had been bailed until August, after spending around 30 hours in police custody.
In an updated statement, Scotland Yard said: "On 4 July, an allegation of rape of a woman in her 20s was reported to police. It was reported the alleged rape happened in June 2022. On 4 July, a 29-year-old man was arrested at an address in Barnet on suspicion of rape and taken into custody.
"While in custody, he was further arrested on suspicion of two incidents of rape that were alleged to have been committed in April and June of 2021 against a different woman in her 20s. He has subsequently been released on bail to a date in August. Enquiries into the circumstances are ongoing."
— Tom Morgan (@Tom_Morgs) July 5, 2022
The player, Telegraph Sport reported, is internationally renowned and it is unclear whether he will now play in his club's pre-season fixture schedule.
The Premier League season begins on August 5 and the player is also due to play at the World Cup in Qatar this November.