Man jailed for headbutting Sheffield United captain Billy Sharp 2 months ago

Man jailed for headbutting Sheffield United captain Billy Sharp

The 30-year-old man was jailed for 24 weeks

A man has been jailed for headbutting Sheffield United captain Billy Sharp at the end of Nottingham Forest's play-off match against the Blades on Tuesday night.


After Forest defeated United 3-2 on penalties to progress to the Championship play-off final against Huddersfield Town, hundreds of home supporters invaded the pitch.

During the pitch invasion at the City Ground, footage showed a fan attacking United captain Sharp, who was standing at the side of the pitch at the time. The striker was sent crashing to the ground by a vicious headbutt, which left him bleeding and requiring stitches.


A man was arrested after the incident, with Nottinghamshire Police announcing that he had been arrested on suspicion of assault.

Nottingham Forest apologised to Sharp, who played for Forest on loan in the 2012-13 season, and said that the fan would be banned from the club for life.

Derbyshire man arrested


Robert Biggs, 30, of Derbyshire, was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and going on to the playing area at a football match, Nottinghamshire Police revealed.

Assistant Chief Constable Rob Griffin, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: "I am pleased we have now charged a suspect in connection with this assault. This is a result of hard work done throughout the night and today involving numerous police departments.

"We continue to work closely with both football clubs who are supporting our investigation following this incident.

"Cases such as this will hopefully serve as a deterrent to anyone thinking of getting involved in violent disorder at football matches. Incidents are treated extremely seriously by the force and football clubs and people involved will be held to account."

Pitch invader jailed


Mr Biggs pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm at Nottingham Magistrates' Court and was jailed for 24 weeks on Thursday.

He was ordered to pay £500 compensation to Sharp, and £128 in court costs, as well as being given a two-year football banning order.

Related links: