Inter Milan to play games behind closed doors after alleged racist abuse of Koulibaly
Napoli manager Carlo Ancelotti said he asked for Wednesday's game to be suspended three times
Inter Milan will play two league games behind closed doors after alleged racist abuse of Napoli's Kalidou Koulibaly during a Serie A match on Wednesday evening. A third game will also be played with the San Siro's 'curva' section - the part of the ground popular with Inter's 'ultras' - closed.
Koulibaly was sent off during the game after sarcastically applauding the referee's decision to book him for an innocuous coming together with Matteo Politano. After full-time, his manager Carlo Ancelotti claimed the Senegalese defender had been the target of racist chanting in the stadium.
"The next time we'll stop playing, even if we lose the match," Ancelotti warned.
"What happened today is not good not only for us but also for Italian football as a whole," the former Chelsea and Real Madrid manager continued.
"I'm very sorry about what happened to Koulibaly. The boy was on edge, he is an educated footballer who was targeted. Despite our requests the match was not interrupted. I'm unhappy because three times we asked for the match to be suspended."
Inter are reportedly considering whether or not to appeal the decision to play their upcoming home games behind closed doors, but have posted a tweet reminding their supporters of the club's values.
'Since 1908, Inter has represented integration, innovation and progressiveness,' the tweet reads. 'The history of Milan is a welcoming one and together we are fighting to build a future without discrimination. Those who do not understand this history do not stand with us.'
Since 1908, Inter has represented integration, innovation and progressiveness. The history of Milan is a welcoming one and together we are fighting to build a future without discrimination. Those who do not understand this history do not stand with us. #BrothersOfTheWorld #FCIM pic.twitter.com/lUok3qDgno
— Inter (@Inter_en) December 27, 2018
Gabriele Gravina, the Italian football federation president, condemned the racist chants.
"Football is the heritage of true supporters and as such should be defended from all those who use it as a tool to create tension," he said.
"We condemn all forms of both physical and verbal violence, with the aggravating circumstance of racial discrimination. We do not tolerate such behaviour ruining football."
As well as the alleged racist chanting, there was also violence outside the stadium prior to the kick-off with one supporter said to have been killed after being hit by a van. Police have also confirmed that four Napoli supporters were hurt, including one who was the victim of a stabbing.