Search icon


14th Jun 2018

Two Charlton Athletic players arrested on suspicion of rape of 19-year-old in Ibiza

The two players were arrested on suspicion of raping a woman who was on holiday on the island

Wayne Farry

The pair were arrested on Tuesday

Two Charlton Athletic footballers have appeared in court having been arrested on suspicion of rape in Ibiza.

The 20-year-old footballers, named Reeco Hackett-Fairchild and Karlan Ahearne-Grant, were accused of rape by a British teenager on holiday in Ibiza, in an incident that is believed to have taken place at the Cala de Bou hotel near the San Antonio area of the island.

They were arrested on Tuesday after the woman, accompanied by her parents, made a complaint at a local police station.

According to a report in the Mirror states that detectives were reportedly told that one of them forced himself on the woman, while the other restrained her and a third filmed the assault.

A spokesperson for Charlton Athletic said: “The club have been made aware and are looking into this matter. Due to the ongoing investigation we will not be commenting any further at this stage.”

Meanwhile, a Spanish National Police spokesperson was quoted as saying: “National Police officers arrested two English men on Tuesday in San Jose in Ibiza as the suspected authors of a sex attack.

“The parents of the 19-year-old victim, who is also British, reported the incident to police.

“It would appear the victim and a female friend of hers who were on holiday in Ibiza with the victim’s parents, went to San Antonio on Monday afternoon and met several lads from a second division football team in the UK in a bar there.

“Both women agreed to go back with the some of the men to the hotel they were staying at, in the municipality of San Jose.

“Once they were in a room, one of the youngsters was allegedly sexually attacked by one of the players, while a second took hold of her and a third recorded her on a mobile phone.

“The victim’s parents quickly suspected something was wrong and after discovering what had happened, went to speak to the National Police.

“National Police officers went to the hotel where those allegedly responsible for the sex attack were staying, and subsequently arrested two men.

“The police investigations are ongoing and further arrests in the coming hours have not been ruled out.”