Everton footballer has bail extended until January
The player has been on police bail since July 23
A Premier League footballer, who had been arrested on suspicion of child sex offences has had his bail extended until January 2022, as per the Athletic.
The unnamed footballer, who plays for Everton, was arrested on Friday 16 July, 2021 and has been on police bail since July 23. However, Greater Manchester Police have confirmed to the publication that they will remain on bail until January 2022 at least.
On the day of the arrest, Greater Manchester Police also made a statement saying: "Officers arrested a man on Friday July 16 2021 on suspicion of child sex offences. He is on police bail pending further inquiries."
This is the second time the footballer has had his bail extended, after a first extension was granted in August until today (October 19) as police continued their enquiries.
In August, Everton confirmed they had suspended the player in question whilst the investigation was carried out.
In a statement, they said: 'We can confirm we have suspended a first-team player pending a police investigation.
"The club will continue to support the authorities with their inquiries and will not be making any further statement at this time."
A club insider also reportedly told the Mirror back in July that the situation had "caused a massive shock."
They also added that: “Clearly this matter must be fully investigated. Allegations of this nature will cause a considerable amount of alarm among everyone within the club, the fans, and the wider public.
"This is now a case of waiting to see where the investigation takes us.”
No other details have been released about the case as of yet.
- Premier League footballer arrested on suspicion of sexual assault
- Benjamin Mendy has been denied bail, will remain in prison until trial
- Man City star Benjamin Mendy arrives at court in prison van