Harry Maguire dropped by England after guilty assault verdict 1 month ago

Harry Maguire dropped by England after guilty assault verdict

The decision was made after Maguire's guilty verdict on Tuesday

England manager Gareth Southgate has decided to drop Harry Maguire from his England squad for the upcoming Nations League matches against Iceland and Denmark, following the defender's guilty assault verdict in a Greek court earlier on Tuesday.

Maguire was found guilty of all charges in a court on the island of Syros, where he had faced charges of aggravated assault, resisting arrest and repeated attempts of bribery towards police officers after an altercation on the island of Mykonos.

After consideration, Southgate decided to withdraw him from the squad.

"In light of this evening’s developments, I can confirm I have withdrawn Harry Maguire from the England squad for the matches against Iceland and Denmark," said Southgate.


"As I said earlier today, I reserved the right to review the situation. Having spoken to Manchester United and the player, I have made this decision in the best interests of all parties and with consideration of the impact on our preparations for next week."

Southgate initially included Maguire in his squad despite his trial, saying: "I have spoken with Harry and have the insight to the story which is very different to what's being reported.

"I have no reason to doubt what he's telling me and it's important he knows he's got my support at this moment.

"Harry regrets the fact he has brought that sort of focus and attention to the team - he apologised for that - but also has his own side of the story."