It is the closest he has come to actually accepting defeat in the presidential election
Donald Trump has seemingly admitted defeat to Joe Biden in the US presidential election, in a video statement posted on Twitter.
Trump had been banned from Facebook, Twitter and Instagram in the wake of the violent insurrection that followed his speech at the US Capitol.
While he is still subject of an indefinite ban on Facebook and Instagram, Trump was permitted to post his latest update on Twitter.
He called for an end to violence, and said a “new administration” would be inaugurated on January 20th. However, he stopped short of completely condemning recent events, stating “our journey is just beginning”.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 8, 2021
“I would like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the US Capitol,” he began.
“Like all Americans, I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem. I immediately deployed the National Guard and federal law enforcement to secure the building and expel the intruders.”
Trump went on to describe those involved in the insurrection and violence as “guilty of defiling the seat of American democracy”, adding they “will pay”.
Later on in his statement, Trump said Congress had concluded its count of Electoral College votes, adding “a new administration will be inaugurated on January 20”. He did not refer to Joe Biden or Kamala Harris by name, but this is the closest he has come to actually accepting defeat since Biden was projected winner on November 7, 2020.
Trump’s comments come amidst a push from Democrats to have him permanently banned from the social media platform. The incumbent has been accused of inciting the violence seen earlier this week. His initial response to the violence reiterated unproven claims about voter fraud, and was rounded off with a message of “I love you, you are special” aimed at those involved.