Search icon


06th Mar 2023

Young boy dies after being crushed by two cars while changing boots

Charlie Herbert

Plymstock Oaks rugby club death

Tributes have been paid to the ‘cheeky, funny and precious’ youngster

A seven-year-old boy died after being crushed in a car park after a rugby match whilst he was changing his boots.

Alfie Tollett had just watched his brother play in a match at his local club, Plymstock Albion Oaks Rugby, and was putting his shoes back on when he got wedged between two cars, a coroner heard.

At the opening of his inquest, a statement on behalf of the coroner Ian Arrow outlined the freak incident that led to Alfie’s death in Plymouth, Devon.

It revealed the fatal crush was caused when an electric vehicle struggling to park “shunted” another parked car into the youngster.

Alfie sustained serious injuries and was taken to Derriford Hospital where he was pronounced dead around an hour after the incident.

The statement read: “(Alfie) was stood at the rear of the family car changing his boots for his shoes after watching his brother play rugby.

“A stationary vehicle parked behind the family vehicle was then struck by another electrically propelled vehicle that was attempting to park; this vehicle has shunted forward the parked vehicle and crushed Alfie between the two vehicles.

“Alfie was conveyed to Derriford Hospital, but sadly passed away.”

His official cause of death was given at the short hearing as blunt force traumatic chest injuries.

Police are appealing for witnesses and any dashcam footage to the tragedy. A 55-year-old man arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving has been released on bail until May.

Since the incident on 19 February, tributes have poured in for Alfie, who lived in Plymouth, Devon.

In a statement released in the days after his death, his family said: “This has to be one of the hardest things we have had to do as a family. On Sunday, our precious little Alfie was involved in a horrible incident where sadly he lost his life.

“This has left a massive hole in our whole family. Our Alfie was not just our son and brother, but also a grandson, a cousin, a nephew and a friend to so many people.

“He was our special cheeky, funny and precious little man. Our hearts are completely broken. We are so numb and are struggling to understand why this has happened.

“We would like to thank you for the kind words of support we have received.

“To our Alfie moos, we miss you sweetheart and we will never ever forget you. Fly high our baby. Thank you for the best seven years of our lives. All our love Mummy, Daddy, Jack and Teddy. X”

A GoFundMe page has been set up to support Alfie’s family, with more than £9,000 having been raised so far.

Paying tribute on Facebook, Plymstock Oaks RFC, where Alfie was a member, said: ‘It is with deep shock and sadness that we regret to inform you of the tragic loss of a young life of one of our own today.

“Our deepest condolences go out to the family and their friends during this difficult time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.’

Devon and Cornwall Police said: “Officers continue to make enquiries to establish the circumstances of the collision, which happened at around 11.10am on Wembury Road, near the Plymstock Albion Oaks Rugby Club.

“A 55-year-old man from Plymouth was arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving. He has been released on police bail to return on Saturday 20 May.

“If you witnessed the incident or have any information or dashcam footage that could help with enquiries, please contact police by calling 101 quoting reference number 50230040392.”

Related links: