
News
Share
Published 08:33 20 Apr 2026 BST
Updated 08:33 20 Apr 2026 BST
Donald Trump said the US has intercepted an Iranian-flagged cargo ship in the Gulf as part of its naval blockade.
The US president took to his Truth Social to claim that the Touska was seized by the US Navy after failing to respond to a warning to stop.
Iran has since said it was a violation of the ceasefire and it would soon retaliate for the "act of armed piracy," per The BBC.
It came after the White House confirmed that US Vice President JD Vance would head a new delegation to Pakistan for a second round of negotiations to end the war with Iran.
Tehran has yet to confirm whether it will attend, with Iranian state media reporting that officials will not take part while the US blockade remains in place.
"Today, an Iranian-flagged cargo ship named TOUSKA, nearly 900 feet long and weighing almost as much as an aircraft carrier, tried to get past our Naval Blockade, and it did not go well for them," Trump wrote.
He went on to say that the US had given the vessel a warning to stop, which was ignored, "so our Navy ship stopped them right in their tracks by blowing a hole in the engine room."
"The TOUSKA is under US Treasury Sanctions because of their prior history of illegal activity. We have full custody of the ship, and are seeing what's on board!"
Footage later released by US Central Command appeared to show a naval vessel intercepting a cargo ship, with a gun seen firing in its direction.
According to a statement carried on state media outlets, a spokesperson for Iran's top military headquarters, Khatam al-Anbiya, said the US in "violation of the ceasefire opened fire on one of Iran's commercial vessels in the waters of the Sea of Oman, disabled its navigation system, and boarded it" by "deploying" marines.
"Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran will soon respond to and retaliate for this act of armed piracy by the US Navy," reads the statement.
On Friday (April 17), Trump said that the naval blockade of Iranian ports would continue until a deal was agreed by the two countries.
Flights cancelled as EasyJet ceases all flight from UK airport
Flights from 5 January have been cancelled Easyjet announced ceasing all flights from a major UK airport at the beginning of next year. All flight tickets booked after 5 January have been cancelled as customers are being offered a refund or a free transfer. The famous orange, low-cost airline confirmed that it would cease all […]
News
5h
Lewes train derailment: Investigators reveal track ‘irregularity’
Investigation on last week’s derailment in East Sussex reveal new findings The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) reported faults in tracks prior to the arrival of the train where the accident took place. The RAIB says that the track ‘geometrical irregularity” could be spotted on CCTV moments before the derailment. The train contained 150 people […]
News
6h
News
News