
News
Share
Published 09:37 25 Jan 2026 GMT
Updated 09:37 25 Jan 2026 GMT
US President Trump made his original remarks at the World Economic Forum earlier this week when he questioned if NATO would "be there if we ever needed them".
Trump then backtracked on his comments as he praised "very brave" British soldiers who served in Afghanistan following fierce criticism of his claims that non-US troops had stayed back from the frontline.
He now said Britons "were among the greatest of all warriors" as he acknowledged the 457 who died and many "badly injured", per Sky News.
"The GREAT and very BRAVE soldiers of the United Kingdom will always be with the United States of America!" Trump wrote on Truth Social.
"It's a bond too strong to ever be broken," the president added.
"The U.K. Military, with tremendous Heart and Soul, is second to none (except for the U.S.A.!). We love you all, and always will!"
His praise comes after he falsely stated that NATO troops had "stayed a little back, a little off the frontlines" in Afghanistan.
Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer had quickly deemed the remarks "insulting and frankly appalling", while Prince Harry also spoke out in defence of the UK troops.
Prince Harry, who himself served two tours of Afghanistan, said British "sacrifices deserve to be spoken about truthfully and with respect".
Downing Street said Sir Keir Starmer spoke with President Trump shortly before the president made his social media post on Saturday, January 25.
"The prime minister raised the brave and heroic British and American soldiers who fought side by side in Afghanistan, many of whom never returned home. We must never forget their sacrifice," said a statement.
Trump made the controversial remarks earlier this week while speaking to Fox News at the World Economic Forum, questioning whether NATO would “be there if we ever needed them”.
"We've never needed them," the US president said.
"They'll say they sent some troops to Afghanistan… and they did, they stayed a little back, a little off the frontlines."
It didn’t take long for criticism from UK veterans, their families and politicians to follow.
Al Carns, the armed forces minister and a former Royal Marines officer who served in Afghanistan, called the claims “utterly ridiculous”.
Lewes train derailment: Investigators reveal track ‘irregularity’
Investigation on last week’s derailment in East Sussex reveal new findings The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) reported faults in tracks prior to the arrival of the train where the accident took place. The RAIB says that the track ‘geometrical irregularity” could be spotted on CCTV moments before the derailment. The train contained 150 people […]
News
1h
Three family members who drowned off Sussex coast named
Three members of the same family died after getting into difficulty in the sea. The three family members who drowned off the Sussex coast yesterday have been named. The tragic incident, which happened in Shoreham in West Sussex, saw three people drown from the same family, as per police. A man, a woman, and a […]
News
3h
Fundraiser for three sisters injured in Irish motorway crash passes €200k
News