
News
Share
Published 10:23 23 Aug 2026 BST
Updated 08:38 23 Aug 2026 BST

Thomas Markle says he feels “hurt and upset” that his daughter Meghan and Prince Harry are returning to the UK.
The Sussexes are due to return later this month and will live in a non-royal residence outside London, with both children already enrolled in British schools.
There is understood to be no change to their status as private individuals and non-working members of the royal family.
They will remain financially independent, and Harry is not expected to take on official duties.
Thomas Markle came out with the statement as he has never met his grandchildren.
The Duchess of Sussex’s estranged father, who has never met Archie, six, or Lilibet, four, spoke out after the couple confirmed they will move back to Britain more than six years after relocating to the United States.
Thomas Markle became estranged from his daughter on the eve of her 2018 wedding.
He has since faced serious health problems, and earlier this year had his left leg amputated in a three-hour “life or death” operation after falling ill at his home in the Philippines.
At the time, Meghan’s spokesperson confirmed she had “reached out” by delivering a letter to her father, though he later said he was “confused” by the reports.
"It has been exceedingly difficult for the Duchess to contact her father privately, despite her efforts over the past several days," said a spokesperson for the Duchess of Sussex.
Mr Markle, who told the Mirror that he learned of the move through the news, remains in the Philippines.
Explore more on these topics:
A66 crash: Seven dead including two police officers after wrong-way collision
Tributes paid after the A66 crash Seven people, including two serving police officers, have died in the A66 crash near Middlesbrough after a car travelling the wrong way along the dual carriageway. The Volkswagen Passat, carrying five teenagers, struck a marked police vehicle in the early hours of Saturday morning. Cleveland Police said all occupants […]
News
13h
Warm home discount: Millions have until Sunday to check for £150 off bills
Millions urged to check energy bills Millions of households are approaching the deadline to make sure they qualify for the £150 Warm Home Discount this winter, the Mirror reports. Anyone in a household claiming means-tested benefits needs to be named on the energy bill by 23 August, as energy suppliers will use the details held […]
News
1 day ago
News
Ryanair offers ‘rescue flights’ after EasyJet ceases all operations from UK airport
News