Ryan Giggs will not take charge of Wales' next three games 1 year ago

Ryan Giggs will not take charge of Wales' next three games

Giggs has been arrested in connection with an alleged assault

Wales manager Ryan Giggs will not take charge of the nation's next three games, amid a police investigation regarding an alleged assault.


The Football Association of Wales (FAW) has confirmed that Giggs' assistant Robert Page will lead the team in upcoming matches against the USA, Republic of Ireland and Finland later this month.

In a new statement, the FAW said:

"The Football Association of Wales and Ryan Giggs have mutually agreed that he will not be involved in the upcoming international camp.


"Our agreed immediate priority is preparing the team for the upcoming international matches.

"Robert Page, with Ryan's support, will take charge for the next three matches against the USA, Republic of Ireland and Finland supported by Albert Stuivenberg."

Giggs was arrested on Sunday on suspicion of assaulting his partner. The ex-Manchester United and Wales winger has since denied the allegations made against him.

Giggs was questioned by Greater Manchester Police on suspicion of assault and actual bodily harm following his arrest at around 10pm on Sunday night. He was later released on bail pending further inquiries.


A statement released on behalf of Giggs said: "Mr Giggs denies all allegations of assault made against him. He is cooperating with the police and will continue to assist them with their ongoing investigation."

The FAW cancelled a planned squad announcement press conference involving Giggs and confirmed that they are aware of the allegations.

A statement read: "The squad announcement scheduled for [Tuesday] will no longer take place and has been postponed.

"The FAW is aware of an alleged incident involving the men's national team manager Ryan Giggs. The FAW will be making no further comment at this current time."


In a statement given to The Sun, the Greater Manchester Police said: “Police were called at 10.05pm on Sunday to reports of a disturbance.

“A woman in her 30s sustained minor injuries but did not require any treatment.

"A 46-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of section 47 assault and section 39 common assault."