Prince William releases statement condemning European Super League 7 months ago

Prince William releases statement condemning European Super League

The Royal Family are now intervening in the European Super League controversy

Prince William has expressed his concern at proposals for a new European Super League, after it was confirmed that six English clubs are amongst those behind plans to form the breakaway competition.

Advertisement

The plans have received strong criticism from across the football world and beyond since the news broke on Sunday.

Prince William, the current president of the Football Association, added his voice to the opposition to the plans with a brief statement released on Twitter.

Tweeting from the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's official account on Monday, he said: "Now, more than ever, we must protect the entire football community – from the top level to the grassroots – and the values of competition and fairness at its core.

"I share the concerns of fans about the proposed Super League and the damage it risks causing to the game we love."

Advertisement

Earlier in the day it was reported that four English clubs - Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal and Chelsea - could be kicked out of the Champions League and Europa League by the end of the week in response to their intended plans to form the new league.

Champions League semi-finalists Chelsea and Manchester City - along with Real Madrid - face expulsion after making it through to the last four of the competition last week.

Manchester United and Arsenal, who have made it to the semi-final of the Europa League, face a similar punishment.

Jesper Moller, a member of Uefa's executive committee, told Danish broadcaster DR that a meeting will take place later this week: "The clubs must go, and I expect that to happen on Friday.

"Then we have to find out how to finish the Champions League tournament.

Advertisement

"There is an extraordinary executive committee meeting on Friday."