Portsmouth sack three players for racist messages about Rashford, Sancho and Saka 4 months ago

Portsmouth sack three players for racist messages about Rashford, Sancho and Saka

The trio sent messages in a Snapchat group after England lost the Euro 2020 final.

Portsmouth have sacked three youth players for sending racist messages directed at Marcus Rashford, Bukayo Saka and Jadon Sancho in a private group chat.

Advertisement

Screenshots of the messages between the players were leaked online which included racial abuse of England players following their defeat to Italy in the Euro 2020 final.

Rashford, Saka and Sancho all missed their spot kicks in the penalty shootout, with the three of them being subjected to horrific racist abuse on their social media accounts in the aftermath.

The Daily Star reports that one of the Portsmouth youth players in the chat called for Rashford to be "lynched" before saying their houses would be getting "bombed".

Another member of the group repeatedly used the n-word and said that "all the black ones missed."

The conversation included the use of monkey emojis and other offensive images as well.

Related links:

Advertisement

A Portsmouth statement said: "Portsmouth Football Club can confirm that the investigation – and subsequent disciplinary process – into discriminatory messages that originated from an academy U18 private group chat has now concluded.

"We can confirm that a decision has been made today (July 28) to release three players from the academy. These players do have the right to appeal the club’s decision.

"Portsmouth Football Club are fully committed to the elimination of all forms of discrimination.

"We are part of a diverse community and are dedicated to promoting an environment of equality and inclusion at all times – both inside the football club and in our wider society.

Advertisement

"We also continue to respectfully appeal for everyone’s consideration in their use of social media posts directed towards any of the club’s employees and any other external parties."

There had been calls for the League One club to release the players involved if they were found guilty after an investigation by the club.

Advertisement