
News
Share
Published 07:46 29 Apr 2026 BST
Updated 08:13 29 Apr 2026 BST
King Charles has urged Donald Trump to drop his ‘America First’ stance and back a renewed alliance with Britain in the interests of global stability, urging the president to 'come together' with the UK.
The King’s address to Congress drew repeated standing ovations, as he reflected on the shared values underpinning the “special relationship.”
The monarch went on to reference the deep connections forged between past Kings, Queens, and Presidents and said amid changing and often turbulent times, Britain and the United States should “stand united in our commitment to uphold democracy, to protect all our people from harm”.
Before King Charles' emotional address, a barnstorming ceremonial welcome at the White House saw Donald Trump lavish praise on the centuries-old bond between the two nations.
The historic State Visit had been called into question in recent months, given Trump's continued barrage of criticism for the UK, amid allied unwillingness to back his war in the Middle East.
However, in a rather dramatic turn of events, the President told guests at the official ceremonial welcome: “Americans have had no closer friends than the British."
Proclaiming the “special relationship” between the United States and the UK, Donald Trump turned to the King, who listened intently throughout his 20-minute speech and said, “We hope it will always remain that way.”
In his speech, King Charles said he felt “the weight of history on my shoulder”.
Acknowledging the shocking assassination attempt on the President last Saturday, when a heavily gunman tried to force his way into the White House Correspondents’ Dinner in Washington, an incident that further cast doubt over the visit, King Charles said: “We meet in times of great uncertainty; in times of conflict from Europe to the Middle East which pose immense challenges for the international community and whose impact is felt in communities the length and breadth of our own countries.
“We meet, too, in the aftermath of the incident not far from this great building that sought to harm the leadership of your Nation and to foment wider fear and discord. Let me say with unshakeable resolve: such acts of violence will never succeed.
“Whatever our differences, whatever disagreements we may have, we stand united in our commitment to uphold democracy, to protect all our people from harm, and to salute the courage of those who daily risk their lives in the service of our countries.”
The Monarch went on to reflect on his late mother's visit in 1991, but said Britain and the US should look towards a new future.
He said: “Our shared values prevailed. Today, we find ourselves in a new era, but those values remain. It is an era that is, in many ways, more volatile and more dangerous than the world to which my late Mother spoke, in this Chamber, in 1991.
“The challenges we face are too great for any one Nation to bear alone. But in this unpredictable environment, our Alliance cannot rest on past achievements or assume that foundational principles simply endure.
“As my Prime Minister said last month: ‘Ours is an indispensable partnership. We must not disregard everything that has sustained us for the last eighty years. Instead, we must build on it’. Renewal today starts with security. Drawing on these values and traditions, time and again, our two countries have always found ways to come together.”
Charles's speech, written with the Government’s input, will have been closely noted by Downing Street, which, despite apparent strains in relations with the United States, was keen to deploy the royals in an effort to shore up the alliance.
Explore more on these topics:
Flights cancelled as EasyJet ceases all flight from UK airport
Flights from 5 January have been cancelled Easyjet announced ceasing all flights from a major UK airport at the beginning of next year. All flight tickets booked after 5 January have been cancelled as customers are being offered a refund or a free transfer. The famous orange, low-cost airline confirmed that it would cease all […]
News
6h
Lewes train derailment: Investigators reveal track ‘irregularity’
Investigation on last week’s derailment in East Sussex reveal new findings The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) reported faults in tracks prior to the arrival of the train where the accident took place. The RAIB says that the track ‘geometrical irregularity” could be spotted on CCTV moments before the derailment. The train contained 150 people […]
News
6h
News
News