
News
Share
Published 08:59 18 Aug 2026 BST
Updated 08:59 18 Aug 2026 BST

Following an attack that left a 60-year-old woman critically injured, a 49-year-old British man in Nice has been charged with attempted murder.
As LBC reported, the alleged attack was said to have taken place just after midnight on Sunday in the French city, and it was thwarted by by one of the woman's neighbours.
An allegation of rape against the man is currently being investigated by police, while the man has not been named.
According to the authorities, the man was arrested after Yuri Lebedev, a 33-year-old Russian immigrant, said he heard a woman shout “stop, stop” from a flat across the courtyard at his apartment building on Avenue Georges Clemenceau.
Image: Google Street view
As per a police official, officers found the attacker “being held down by a neighbour, who had heard the woman screaming inside an apartment block.”
“I went out on the balcony and saw a man on the floor who was stabbing someone in the head. I ran downstairs and across the yard. It was a man I’ve seen several times at the foot of the building. He threatened me in English, saying three or four times, ‘If you approach, I’ll kill you’”, Mr Lebedev told Nice Matin newspaper.
“I heard the woman’s voice. I circled round and managed to grab the hand holding the knife and managed to disarm him. I elbowed him in the face and threw him on the ground … I got the knife away from him”, Lebedev added.
“She was badly injured. She said she was dying, she was losing consciousness. She was stabbed for nothing,” Lebedev said, adding that she tried to staunch the bleeding.
“This is not something you see every day in Nice,” he said. The attacker was “very odd, unbalanced”.
According to witnesses, the suspect is also said to have roamed Nice knocking on doors, as he claimed he had been robbed in the week before the alleged attack.
Irish police to receive pursuit training as five boys killed in motorway crash named locally
Gardaí to receive pursuit training following M9 collision that killed five teenage boys. Minister for Justice Jim O’Callaghan has confirmed that gardaí will receive special pursuit training following the M9 crash over the weekend. The Garda Representative Association claim no one in An Garda Síochána had received such pursuit training. Mr O’Callaghan said that legislation […]
News
13h
Trump is threatening to ‘bomb the sh*t’ out of another country, and this time it’s a US ally
The US President adds to his list of threats to bomb next Donald Trump threatens to bomb Oman, a US ally working on reopening the strait of Hormuz as the 60-day deadline for Iran agreement expires. The President warned of an attack on Oman if it “gets in the way” of the US’s efforts in […]
News
14h
Police issue update after Hayden Panettiere found dead aged 36
News