Animal hospital has a special jar of chocolates for dogs who are about to be put down 3 weeks ago

Animal hospital has a special jar of chocolates for dogs who are about to be put down

'No dog should go to Heaven without tasting chocolate.'

An animal hospital in the US has gone viral after sharing a picture of their special gift to dogs who are about to be put down.

Advertisement

Smiths Station Animal Hospital in Alabama uploaded a picture of a jar of Hershey's Kiss chocolates that they give to dogs who are set to be euthanised.

The caption accompanying the image reads: "This jar is reserved for our euthanasia appointments...because no dog should go to Heaven without tasting chocolate."

Local news station KPTV reports that the post was written by Dr Nicole Namie, who is one of the three vets at the animal hospital.

And it seems like the post managed to hit everyone in the feels, being liked 67,000 times and getting 125,000 shares.

Advertisement

This jar is reserved for our euthanasia appointments...because no dog should go to Heaven without tasting chocolate.

❤️❤️❤️

Dr. Namie

Posted by Smiths Station Animal Hospital on Monday, September 20, 2021

Plenty of people in the comments were reminded of times that they had to have a pet put down, sharing their fond experiences and memories of their much-loved animal friends.

One person wrote: "This is why I can't have another dog. Too painful. I've lost many dogs since I was a kid, and I honestly just don't think I can go through it again. Too much trauma, I'm hesitant on even liking dogs anymore because I don't want to get attached."

Another said: "Just helped my boy cross the bridge. We gave him lots of chocolate right before. He was so happy."

A third commented: "My baby ate chocolate ice cream with banana and whipped cream on her last night. Banana was her favourite thing, she couldn't go without it."

Advertisement

Of course, dog owners will know that chocolate is usually a big no-go for pooches. It can be toxic for dogs, causing pain and even death because, unlike humans, their bodies are unable to metabolise caffeine and theobromine, both of which are both found in chocolate. This makes them more sensitive to the side effects of both chemicals.

But in the final moments before they pass away, the Smiths Station Animal Hospital has decided that they should be allowed one final treat. And it's difficult to argue with that.

Related links:

Advertisement