21 ways working in retail makes you want to shoot everyone then yourself
1. Customers arriving five minutes before the shop shuts
Photo: Warner Bros.
2. Getting blamed for price increases as though you have any control over anything in this infernal place
Photo: LucasArts / Disney
Oh no, sorry, overestimate. I meant overestimate. I can't do shit.
3. Carefully arranging a display, only for it to be destroyed 10 minutes later
4. People asking for a 50% discount because the item has a tiny scratch on it and therefore is literally worthless
Ah yes, of course. You know what, here's 90% off.
5. Customers not understanding the difference between what they want and what is available
Photo: Comedy Central
You see, what you want is something that we don't have. Do you see the issue we're having here?
6. *no price label on the product* Customer: So that means it's free then? Hahahahaha
7. Giving your biggest, cheeriest "Hello sir/madam" and getting this in return
Photo: Getty / Craig Barritt
Good morning to you too, dick.
8. Holding out your hand for the customer's money, who decides to just dump it on the counter
Oh good, you're paying with all your loose change too. This won't take a moment.
9. When a customer's total is £0.02 more than they were expecting
10. Customers trying to return something that’s soaking wet, slashed up and covered in jam, claiming that it’s “faulty”
Photo: 20th Century Fox
11. When the phone rings and rings and rings, then you answer and it’s “What time do you close?”
12. “It says everything’s 50% off” No, everything’s UP TO 50% off
Photo: Mark Morgan
Check the not-so-small print.
13. Customers asking you to check 'The Back' when you know there's nothing there
Photo: Roland Tanglao
What a surprise, there's nothing there.
14. Getting a whopping 15 minute break on your 10-hour shift because work is crazy busy
15. Parents treating your workplace like a creche and basically letting their children destroy everything
Photo: Natalie Greco
Petition to have one of these installed in every shop ever.
16. "I have a voucher, but I left it at home." Well you don't really have a voucher then, do you?
Photo: Coca-Cola / Wired
Also I'm fairly sure that voucher is from 1883.
17. When a customer seems to know more about your store policy and operations than you do
Photo: Paramount Pictures
Really? Tell me more about how we've always stocked this product that we've never stocked.
18. When it's 9am on a Monday and the first thing that happens is a customer yelling at you for something that wasn't your fault
19. "Oh wait, here's 30p." But I just pressed the £10 button on the till...
Photo: Warner Bros.
Photo: TriStar Pictures
21. When you think it's been four hours but you're only 10 minutes into your shift
Photo: Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment
Feature image: @iEatBears / Fox