Fortnite beats Red Dead Redemption 2 for Game of the Year at Golden Joystick Awards
Red Dead Redemption 2 did win the Critics Choice Award though
Are you spending your gaming hours slowly riding a horse across a snowy mountaintop?
Or do you prefer to spend most of your time being killed by teenagers on Fortnite?
Voters for the 2018 Golden Joystick Awards would seem to fall in the latter camp.
The awards are voted for by the public, and this year Fortnite took the top prize of Ultimate Game of the Year. The battle royal game beat out its main completion in the shape of Rockstar’s cowboy simulator, which came second.
— Golden Joysticks (@GoldenJoysticks) November 16, 2018
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 came in third place.
The awards were held on Friday evening in London, and were hosted by Danny Wallace.
The complete list of winners are:
- Best Storytelling: God of War
- Studio of the Year: Sony Santa Monica
- Best New Streamer/Broadcaster: Amelia Rose Blaire and Bryan Dechart
- Mobile Game of the Year: Playerunknown's Battlegrounds
- Best Competitive Game: Fortnite
- PC Game of the Year: Subnautica
- PlayStation Game of the Year: God of War
- Best Co-op Game: Monster Hunter World
- Xbox Game of the Year: Forza Horizon 4
- Best Visual Design: God of War
- Nintendo Game of the Year: Octopath Traveler
- Best Indie Game: Dead Cells
- Breakthrough Award: Unknown Worlds (Subnautica)
- Most Wanted Game: Cyberpunk 2077
- Critics Choice Award: Red Dead Redemption 2
- Best Audio: God of War
- Still Playing Award: World of Tanks
- Best Performer: Bryan Dechart (Detroit: Become Human)
- Outstanding Contribution: Microsoft (Xbox Adaptive Controller)
- Best VR Game: Skyrim VR
- Game of the Year: Fortnite