The latest Friends theory that's doing the rounds is very harsh on Ross
Bound to divide Friends fans.
Despite the fact that the Friends finale aired 14 years ago - Christ, we're feeling old - it appears that fans of the show have moved into a new era of reflection and evaluation.
As new generations watch the events of the gang unfold for the first time older generations are continuing to squabble over small details. Hell, it's like that episode when Chandler and Joey argued over the chair because as we all know, the cushions are the essence of the chair.
Anyways, a tweet by the comedian Emily Heller has gone viral and it caused a little bit of commotion in the Friends-sphere (yeah, we just made that up)
Emily reckons that the only reason why the producers made Monica and Ross siblings in the show was that all the other members of the Friends gang would have 'sided' with Carol following her divorce from Ross.
Just realized they HAD to make Monica & Ross brother and sister otherwise all the F•R•I•E•N•D•S would have stuck with Carol in the divorce
— Emily Heller (@MrEmilyHeller) May 12, 2018
Ok, let's break this down.
In the interest of full disclosure, I'm a big Ross fan because he has consistently been one of the funniest characters throughout the show.
This moment at 4:10 still cracks me up.
Clip via - Favorite Videos
Ok, let's see if Emily's theory stands up.
1) Ross and Chandler were best friends in college and they were practically inseparable. On that note, it's fair to assume that Chandler wouldn't ditch his close friend after a painful divorce.
2) Rachel and Ross also had a history. Granted, they weren't dating when they went to high school together but in the very first episode of the show, Rachel arrived into Central Perk and knows absolutely nobody apart from Monica and Ross. Granted, their social interactions all revolved around the fact that Ross is Monica's brother but even if she wasn't introduced to Ross via Monica, they still went to the same high school. Ross only met Carol in college. It's fair to assume that any 'loyalty' Rachel would have regarding 'picking a side' in the divorce would go to Ross because she would know his face.
3) Phoebe and Ross were once romantically involved. Granted, Phoebes also said about Carol "She is so great! I miss her" but this also happened as soon as she heard that Ross was having marital issues.
It's clear that she cares for Ross.
Clip via - Tawfiq Gousouss
4) In the same scene above, it's implied that Joey has never met Carol although he does think it's cool that she's a lesbian. His allegiances could go anywhere but at least he has met Ross.
5) If Monica wasn't Ross' sister, it's unclear where she might go. The backstory between Carol and Monica was never really fleshed out too much because it always did involve the truism that their relationship was centred around the fact they're sisters-in-law.
Anyways, people have weighed in with their own theories. What do you reckon?
Could this be any more true? pic.twitter.com/jPaLec6xaY
— Marie la Bleue (@mlbookworm) May 12, 2018
Why would Joey or chandler have stuck with Carol in the divorce?? Or Rachel she didn’t even know Carol...
— Elainer (@elaine_7777) May 13, 2018
Phoebe would stick with Monica who would’ve stuck with Carol. Joey would stick with Phoebe, and to be honest, Chandler and Joey were much closer than Ross was with Chandler. Rachel would go with Carol because in this universe, she would’ve met Carol and Susan instead of Ross.
— hien (@Mardarins) May 13, 2018
Carol was great, but I believe I’m in the minority here in saying that I found Susan a bit annoying. 🤷🏻♀️
— Amanda Arana (@plantbasdfoodie) May 13, 2018
Clearly, this is an important issue for some people.
OMG! Why do people forget that Carol cheated on her loving and faithful husband?! Why is it acceptable just because she did it with a woman?! 🤷🏻♀️
— Shubza (@wotsdpoint) May 13, 2018
They would never even be a group if Ross and Monica weren’t siblings. The only reason Monica knows Chandler is through Ross and the same goes for Ross and Phoebe knowing each other because of being Monica’s roommate
— Quetzalcoatl (@DioRando1) May 13, 2018