Search icon


06th Aug 2021

Anti-masker detained in Singapore mental hospital after refusing to wear mask

Charlie Herbert

He refused to wear a mask on the subway.

A British man who was arrested for refusing to wear a face mask in Singapore has been detained in a mental hospital, but has branding the legal action against him as “disgusting.”

Benjamin Glynn said at the start of his trial that he would “never plead guilty or not guilty” to the charges against him.

He added: “I refuse to be a slave.

“I think it’s insane that I am facing a trial at all, just for not wearing a mask.”

The Telegraph reports that anti-mask supporters were backing him from the public gallery.

The 39-year-old was originally arrested on May 7 and had his bail revoked on July 19. He now faces additional charges for refusing to wear a mask at a court appearance in July.

The court was urged to assess the married father of two’s mental state by Timotheus Koh, the deputy public prosecutor. Koh said that Glynn’s family described a “marked change” in his actions since the pandemic began.

“The accused’s behaviour in court speaks for itself,” Mr Koh said.

But Mr Glynn replied in a raised voice: “My mind is crystal clear. I’m wide awake. I’m enlightened.”

He claimed he was “sovereign” throughout the trial, adding “the charges don’t apply to me.”

Related links:

Sadiq Khan says not wearing a face mask on Tube should be criminal offence

Here’s why you still have to wear a mask on London transport services

Dad arrested in Singapore over Facebook video of him riding a train without a mask

The charges against Mr Glynn include three offences – two counts of harassment and being a public nuisance – under the Covid-19 (Temporary Measures) Act. A fourth charge relates to his decision to forgo a mask outside the court building.

The charge of harassment comes with a maximum jail term of a year and a fine of up to £2,600, while conviction for breaching the Covid-19 rules could result in a six month sentence and £5,300 fine.

Glynn has worked in Singapore since 2017 as the employee of a British company based in the country.

He has been ordered by District Judge Eddy Tham to be remanded to the Institute of Mental Health for psychiatric monitoring until the trial continues on August 19.